Friday, January 28, 2011

Pimp my Profile

dating online you come across hundreds of profiles, most of which contain fatal flaws. enough for me to think "PASS". sometimes it can be depressing, other times you just have to laugh. what are these guys thinking? no wonder they're single! at the same time, there must be girls out there who fall for this garbage. are women profiles equally as douchey?

here are 10 examples of what i think men should consider when creating an online dating profile:

1. please come up with a good tag line. "i know, you can't believe i'm single" isn't cutting it.
2. be honest if you have children. if you respond "no" to "having kids at home" and then you post pictures of random children, i'm going to assume they are yours. just because they don't LIVE at home, doesn't mean you are childless.
3. do spell check. nothing turns me off more than typos.
4. why is everyone "new to town"? is a dating website really the best avenue to make friends? i'm looking for a relationship, not a BFF.
5. choose good photos. avoid the creepy-molester-mug-shots, omg-cute-i-have-a-dog-lol, ex-gf-scratached-out-face, super-outdated-back-in-the-day, i-swear-i'm-not-bald-under-all-of-these-hats, shirtless-bathroom-self photos.
6. be witty and don't take yourself (or online dating) too seriously. there are so many aggressive profiles out there. NO MIND GAMES. NO BS. really? 'cause that's my specialty. i had one guy ask me if i was "nice and normal" and it completely threw me off.
7. embrace online dating. there seem to be a lot of men out there who are ashamed that they are on these websites, with tag lines such as "don't worry, i'll say we met at the supermarket!". huh? but we didn't...
8. do fill out your profile. "i'll get to this later" doesn't exactly fill me with confidence that you are taking it seriously.
9. don't add me to your "favourites" or "people i want to meet" lists without contacting me. it doesn't make me feel special.
10. describe your job or be honest if you don't have one. "professional" is not a profession. and "i have one" makes me think that you don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment