Friday, February 20, 2015

Ahmed

Hey all...I'm back too! I had some weird dating experiences last year that I didn't write about, but I'll start with what's fresh. 

I had been on Tinder for a while because I DETEST writing a profile about myself. Dudes on Tinder, however, are even flakier than on regular online dating so I deleted that app late last year and re-joined OkCupid.

I got a random message from a guy whose profile contains what are normally two red flags for me: No face pictures, and an insistence that he's looking for something casual as opposed to a girlfriend. However, the profile was very well-written and seemed thought out, so I figured why not reply?

Our online chats were good but it got to a point where I had to know what he looked like. I gave him my number and asked if he could text me a picture. I don't know what's wrong with me but I had decided that he was probably SO GOOD LOOKING that it was a problem to put his pic online. I literally imagined him as a real life Archer

Suffice it to say, he was normal looking, but no Archer. Not a problem in any way. Chemistry is a bigger deal for me than how someone looks. He said "this is your get out of jail free card!" but I did still want to meet up. Also, contrary to what his profile would have me believe, the dude texted me like 25 times a day. 

We ended up meeting near him, which meant me trekking east on the coldest day of the year here. When he found out I was taking the bus, he suggested I get off at a stop that was near him and we'd walk together. I got off the bus: No one waiting for me. I had no idea which direction he was coming from but eventually figured out who he was because we were both the only people looking around like we were looking for someone! Bear in mind I was also bundled up to the point where you could only see my eyes. 

The conversation felt a bit stilted but then again we were meeting for the first time. It felt like it flowed a bit more over text. I hate awkward silences so I am always trying to fill them. Over a few drinks and dinner at the pub it didn't feel like it was flowing any better. We just didn't seem to have a lot in common, interests-wise or elsewhere. 

Also, and I hate mentioning this, but he was exactly my height (5'6"). I try not to let this bug me, and maybe if everything else were going right, it wouldn't be such an issue. 

At one point during dinner, he asked me if I was a red wine or white wine person. I said red (and was drinking red at the time). He was like "well I think I have some back at my place..." Um...what??! I am definitely not going over to your place tonight.

Anyways, after dinner was over he walked me back to the bus stop. He texted later that night to say he'd had a good time and to make sure I had gotten home ok. He started texting me again the next morning at 7:45. Normally I would love that, but I knew I wasn't into him. I forced myself to be mature and let him know that I was feeling more of a friend vibe (I have been the victim of the fadeaway too often and know how harsh that is). He accepted it very well, and chalked it up to the nature of dating, but let me know that he was definitely looking for a romantic connection and not a friendship. 

No comments:

Post a Comment