Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Jay

I met up with Jay on Easter Sunday after a weekend trip to visit friends in Toronto. We had been chatting for about a week on pof and that seemed to be the earliest we could get together. I was anxious to meet him as we instantly connected over text. He had asked me how pof was treating me and I explained that I was a bit discouraged and tempted to delete my profile (after the Kyle fiasco), but he urged me not to delete it! He seemed sweet.

Granted, while I was enthused to meet Jay, I was also exhausted from a girls weekend of eating and drinking. I literally cabbed home from the train station, showered, changed and headed out the door without eating dinner. In hindsight, I probably wasn't in the right headspace to be going on a date.

Jay is handsome, funny and very polite. The conversation flowed easily, although I think he may have been nervous because on several occasions, he seemed to lose his train of thought. Jay is one year younger than me, about the same height, owns a house in Gatineau with his dog Cash and works for Passport Canada during the day and then also works at Birks on evenings/weekends (a side job he intended to give up, but actually enjoys). I was struck by his 9+ yr relationship on pof so asked him about that. He had dated a girl from age 18-27 and was engaged to be married, but three months before the wedding, he called it off (she cheated). I like that Jay is looking for a serious relationship and wants to start his own family in the near future.

I felt a bit jaded on my date.  The truth is, my walls are up. I'm so worried about being disappointed time and time again. I sat there wondering if Jay was into me, but perhaps he was wondering the same about me! After a few hours of chatting over beer and nachos, Jay suggested he grab the bill because he had to head home to let his dog out (he had been in Greely for Easter dinner in the afternoon and came straight to the pub for our date). He offered to give me a ride home, which was very sweet, but I declined. And then he just kind of started to walk toward the parking lot and said goodbye and told me to let him know if he wanted to do it again sometime. No hug?! That was new to me and really kind of threw me for a loop.

When I got home, I was pleasantly surprised to receive a text from Jay asking if I had made it home safely. He then asked if I would like to go out again (but no stress either way). I said sure! We have plans to meet up again on Friday night. I am looking forward to getting to know him in a better headspace with an open mind and heart.

UPDATE: Mike
I randomly received a text on the train home from Toronto from a deleted phone number. It just said "Happy Easter". I was bored, so decided to respond and that got the ball rolling. At one point, the unknown texter sent me a photo of himself as a child (random?!) and that's when it dawned on me that it was Mike (he looks exactly the same). I told him I thought I had advised him to pls lose my number. Obviously, he hadn't. I don't get guys like Mike... the occasional texter with no promise/follow up of a date. It doesn't make sense to me. After a few texts back and forth for a day, I deleted his number again and haven't heard from him since! So bizarre.

UPDATE: Kyle
For those of you who are curious, yep, Kyle was on my train to Toronto... even in the same car as me! I had looked up when we stopped in Fallowfield and saw the side of his profile at the front of the train and promptly hid. I just assumed he was sitting at the front, but then it later dawned on me that his 6 year old daughter was the misbehaved brat running up and down the train aisle the ENTIRE ride, and that he must be sitting behind me. As the train slowed down to a stop, he made a beeline for the front of the train to make their connection to London. As Kyle was walking by me, I elbowed him in the butt accidentally as I went to put on my jacket. I was terrified he would turn around, but he didn't. Pfew. Dodged a bullet!

No comments:

Post a Comment